This keto ham casserole is exactly what the doctor ordered when you need some comfort food. It’s meaty, cheesy, and filling.
Ham and cheese are a classic combination and can be a tasty delight whether served in a sandwich, a biscuit, croissant, or roll up. Another twist on the combo is putting them together in a simple, delicious casserole suitable for breakfast, brunch, or night time supper.
This ham casserole is sure top be a family favorite, and is so easy that it can be put together quickly when unexpected guests arrive or you need a quick dish to give to a neighbor or friend.
Watch How to Make the Keto Ham and Cheese Casserole
A Low Carb Recipe with High Protein
Following a low carb or keto diet? This dish uses cauliflower in lieu of a pasta or potato, keeping it low carb but still substantial. And the meat and cheese pack a nice punch of protein. The butter and cream keep this dish rich and very filling.
If you’re having this dish as a breakfast casserole or for brunch, just serve with some bacon or sausage to keep it keto. For dinner, adding a cup of either peas or green beans to this recipe are excellent options. Or serve as is with a side of buttery or cheesy spinach.
Why a Casserole?
Well, in the South we LOVE our “throw it all in one dish” casseroles. They are yummy and require less time and prep than making several dishes. They are also almost synonymous with the word “comfort”. Prepare, let it cook while you do other things, then serve it! If you have leftover ham from another meal, this recipe is especially perfect.
If you like our keto ham and cheese casserole, we think you’ll also love our other casseroles! (Warning: These others are not keto casserole recipes! Most can be adapted for a keto diet though.)
Substitutions for Ham and Cheese Casserole Ingredients
This is a pretty basic recipe, and you can easily substitute or add to the ingredients if desired.
- It calls for packaged, diced ham, but if you have leftover baked ham from another meal, you can use it instead.
- Cheddar cheese can be changed to any flavor of cheese you prefer. Let your taste buds decide.
- Adding a little hot sauce, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, or ground black pepper will allow you to shape the recipe further to your taste preferences.
- Broccoli florets can be used in place of the cauliflower.
We hope you’ll enjoy our Keto Ham, Cheese, and Cauliflower Casserole recipe!
Keto Ham and Cheese Casserole
- 2 cup ham cubed
- 2 heads cauliflower stems removed and florets separated
- 1 cups unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill a large stockpot with water to three-quarters full. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the pot, and cook florets for about 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the cauliflower well and place in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the ham over the cauliflower and tuck into the cauliflower florets.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add the heavy cream and bring to a boil, stirring often. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 ½ cups of the shredded cheese into the skillet and stir until melted. Allow the sauce to simmer, stirring often, for an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon and begins clinging to the sides of the skillet.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and ham. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the cauliflower begins to brown. Garnish with the sliced green onions.