This boiled chicken and rice is a Southern staple. It’s easy, classic, and a tasty comfort dish for those chilly evenings.
My Mema always cooked this dish. I would go to the white and green counter top, shovel this into my mouth, and always ask Poppa to pass the pepper. There was no doubt there would also be served thick-sliced tomatoes and maybe some cornbread if I was lucky. Oh Memories—“MeMa”-ries!
This dish is perfect for the soul. For added Southern flare, throw a hefty dash of ground black pepper on top.
Southern Boiled Chicken and Rice
There is nothing more comforting and more Southern than a good bowl of chicken and rice. I grew up on it, and it never failed to delight. It combines two of my favorite things…chicken and rice! There are a variety of ways to prepare the dish by changing the veggies or seasonings. Experiment until you get it just the way you like it!
How to Boil Chicken
I’ve got a whole post on that right here, but here are the basics.
Chicken + Water + Cooking Pot + Heat = Boiled Chicken.
Of course, that’s obvious. The details are in how much, for how long, and what can be added to maximize flavor.
Once you’ve finished boiling your chicken, you can move on to the process of simmering your rice using the chicken broth. Check out the recipe card at the bottom, for detailed instructions.
Can I freeze my boiled chicken and rice?
Of course! This is the perfect “rainy day” meal.
Make sure you cool food before putting in the refrigerator and make sure food is cooled completely before freezing. This keeps your food safer (think: microbes that make you sick) and keeps the water inside the food from doing weird stuff as it freezes like drastic texture changes.
Portioning boiled chicken and rice into individual servings makes great last minute meals. It then becomes the perfect grub for someone feeling a little under the weather.
Substitutions that can work in this recipe
For such a simple recipe, substitutions can be a challenge. Get creative. These are all worth a try:
- Post-holiday Turkey & Rice
- Leftover-Rotisserie Chicken & Rice
- Boiled Chicken & Grits
- Boiled Chicken & Dumplings
Other Chicken Dinner Recipes We Love
We hope you’ll enjoy our Boiled Chicken and Rice recipe!
Boiled Chicken and Rice
- see our Boiled Chicken recipe
- 3 cups long grain rice
- Follow our Boiled Chicken recipe. After chicken is cooked, remove from the pot to cool.
- Pour about 5-6 cups of the broth into a separate pot, and stir in the rice.
- Bring the rice to just under a boil on the stovetop.
- Cover your pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Begin deboning your chicken while the rice is cooking. Save the bones – see Recipe Notes below.
- If the rice isn't done after simmering, pour in another cup of broth and stir. Cover and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Repeat this step until the rice is done.
- Serve chicken and rice with salt and pepper to taste.