You’ll skip the boxed brownie mix once you try these delicious from-scratch brownies! They are perfectly chewy and delicious.
Brownies might not be an original Southern thang (think Chicago instead) but we sure do like baking from scratch. And these brownies will give any boxed mix a run for its money.
Ingredients like cocoa powder, butter, and vanilla give these brownies a rich flavor edge over the “just add oil and eggs” mixes.
Options for your Brownies
There are many yummy mix-ins that work great with brownies. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Chocolate chips – dark, milk, or white
- Caramel chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Chopped pecans (we’re using these in this recipe)
- Chopped walnuts
- Peanut halves
- Almond slices
- Dried coconut flakes
- A teaspoon or two of instant coffee
Or on top, you can add some extra pizazz!
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Powdered sugar
- A scoop of ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Or all of the above for a brownie sundae…don’t forget the cherry on top!
You can also give them a pumpkin cheesecake topping if you want to try something really special!
Other Tips for Your Brownies
For brownies that are more cake-like, add up to 1 additional cup of flour.
For chewier brownies, reduce the number of eggs from 4 to 3.
We hope you’ll enjoy our Brownies from Scratch recipe!
Brownies from Scratch
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9×13" pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until fully mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 4 eggs.
- Stir the eggs and melted butter into the dry mixture until fully combined and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour the wet mixture into your brownie pan. Add additional pecan halves to the top to decorate, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.