Every Southern cook needs a go-to recipe for a creamy sausage gravy. You’re going to love this traditional biscuit-topping gravy.
Oh hey there. So you’re making some biscuits for breakfast? Or maybe you’re cooking up chicken fried steak for dinner? Or fried chicken? Mmm mmm. You came to the right place. You’re going to need to top those with some Southern gravy goodness. Here we have an easy recipe for exactly what you need.
This recipe is made with just four ingredients – sausage, milk, flour, and butter. You can of course season it however you’d like… and below we have some suggestions.
Additions to the Sausage Gravy
If you want to add a little extra to your gravy, you can include some other tasty ingredients:
- Cook up a half cup of diced onion with the sausage
- Or stir in a sprinkling of onion powder
- Add some garlic powder
- Sprinkle cayenne for a little extra kick
I personally make this recipe as is, but I do add in lots of ground pepper. Since sausage is typically salty, I don’t add extra salt, but many folks do. Follow your taste preferences for your own perfect gravy!
We hope you’ll enjoy our Southern Sausage Gravy recipe!
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage or sausage of your choice
- 2 cups milk (whole milk works best)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- Place the butter in your skillet and heat at medium-high heat on your stovetop, until fully melted.
- Add the sausage, and cook for 5-6 minutes. Break it up into small pieces with your wooden spoon as it's cooking.
- Stir in the flour and let it break down in the butter for a couple minutes. Then slowly add in the milk, while continuing to stir. It will thicken after a few minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.