This Southern white gravy is so easy – it’s made from only a few ingredients that you’re sure to have on hand! This is your go-to gravy for chicken fried steak.
If you’re fixin’ some chicken fried steak for dinner, you’re in for a treat. And you’ve come to the right place. You’re going to need to top that yummy crunchy steak with the perfect gravy pairing. This easy peasy recipe is just what you need. (Unless of course you’d prefer some decadent sausage gravy. Then come right over here.)
This recipe is made with just a few ingredients that you’re sure to have laying around – milk, flour, butter, salt, and pepper. So without further ado, let’s get started.
By the way, if you’re looking for a vegan version of this gravy recipe, you can find one at the very bottom of our Vegan Chicken Fried Steak post.
We hope you’ll enjoy our Southern White Gravy recipe!
Southern White Gravy
- 2 cups milk (whole milk works best)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- Place the butter in your skillet and heat at medium-high heat on your stovetop, until fully melted.
- Stir in the flour and let it break down in the butter for a couple minutes. Then slowly add in the milk, while continuing to stir. It will thicken after a few minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.